The TI Alumni Association/TI Golf Tournament, in support of TI’s United Way Campaign, attracted 100 golfers for the 20th-annual event at the Woodbridge Golf Club on April 8 in Wylie and raised $36,585 in donations and pledges. Contributions will benefit two worthwhile nonprofits − The Senior Source and United Way. TI and the Texans Credit Union were underwriters for the tournament, making it possible for 100 percent of the donations to go directly to the agencies.
The pre-tournament lunch featured speakers from The Senior Source and TI. Mike Massad, chairman of the board of The Senior Source, thanked golfers and donors for their contributions. Since its beginning in the year 2000, the tournament has raised more than $400,000 for charities. Ellen Barker, TI chief information officer and senior vice president, welcomed the golfers and thanked all the volunteers who helped with the tournament, both from TIAA and TI.
A major plus to this year’s results comes from the decision by the TI Foundation to match the gifts from individual retiree donors, who can go to the website at getinvolved.ti.com website, log in and request a match for their donation to The Senior Source. Golfers can request a match for the amount over the fair market value of what it costs to play. The fair market value is $45, so for the $85 registration fee, each golfer can request a matching gift for $40.
Legend Sponsors for this year’s tournament included:
- Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Texas
- Steve J. Combest, financial advisor, Capital Financial Services
- Edward Jones & Co., Jerry Pierce, CFP
In a close contest, on a beautiful day for golfing, the team winners were:
- 1st Place (Main Gross): the TI team of Tao Xu, David Crump, Kevin Tiede, and Sawtantar Sharma
- 1st Place (Main ZigZag) the TI team of Omar Gonzalez, Keith McElwain, and BJ Tucker
- 1st Place (TIAA/Sponsor Team) the Texans Credit Union Team: Tiffany Chisnall, Steve Erp, Bob Spain and Walter Willmeth
Individual Winners were:
- Closest to Pin #4 (Male) Steve Grosh
- Longest Drive #9 (Female) Ellen Barker
- Longest Drive #9 (Male) Sawtantar Sharma
Other corporate sponsors for the tournament included:
- Champion sponsor: Highland Springs
- Masters sponsors: Randall Graham, Ebby Halliday REALTORS, SVTronics Inc., and The Tradition Senior Living
A major factor in this year’s success was the generous donations of almost 40 individual donors as well as the contributions of the 100 golfers.
More photos of this event can be viewed here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/fKnYcrueXEhGJ62s7